How do I get started?
New Born Feeding - how do I get started?
- Birth - Within the first hour, just hug your baby with lots of skin to skin contact.
- First 24 hours of birth - Feed at least 4 times.
- 2nd day of birth - Feed at least 6 times.
All your baby needs is a spoonful of Colostrum per feed (please see information at the bottom of the page)
- 3-5 days - Anytime during these days the milk will start coming in. Feed at least 8 to 12 times. Breasts will feel full and might leak.
- First 4-6 weeks - Your breast will get in sync by producing as much as baby wants. They will feel softer. Avoid foods that cause colic.
- 3-6 months - Baby's digestive system is a little settled. Feed 8 to 12 times. The baby and breast are in rhythm. The colic episodes will be reduced.