Benefits of Breastfeeding
- Lower risk of ovarian cancer
- Lower risk of breast cancer
- Stronger bones in later life (osteoporois)
- Protection against ear infections
- Protection against chest infections and weezing
- Lower risk of diabetes
- Less allergic disease (eczema, asthma, wheezy)
- Protection against diarrhoea, gastro-enteritis and stomach upsets
- Better mental development
- Better mouth formation and straighter teeth
- Less obesity
Did you know...
"Breastfeeding is not just about food - it is about love, nurture, learning to follow a baby's cues and communication. Nursing can reduce stress in mum and baby."
"Breastfeeding helps alleviate many of the health inequalities that we see in our communities and in society today. The milk of a mother from a deprived background is just as good as the milk of a mother living in affluence. Breastfeeding is something that all families can benefit from, whatever their income, education, background, or place in society."
"Babies cannot be spoiled by holding or nursing them often - Research shows that babies are happiest and healthiest if they are kept in close contact with their mother or another family member most of the time. Asleep or awake, happy or sad, babies like to feel and smell your warm embrace. Research shows babies grow faster and learn about their world more readily when up on mother's level."